If you are not serious about making your creative dream a reality – then don’t read any further!
If you are serious, then ask your self these questions – where do I want to be in three months? Do I still want to be going round in circles? Or do I want some clarity?
Creative fog creeps in at any time for creatives and left alone – it can be a dream killer. I know this too well as I’ve been there many times before. But the question is – how do we move through it and clear it? What if it was easier than we think? Creative people can be passionate and proactive. They might love challenges and thinking outside of the box. But we also procrastinate. When we are bursting with ideas and have no direction – procrastination can strike. It’s called resistance.
The most important book written on the subject is like nectar for the artist’s soul. In ‘the War of Art’, Steven Pressfield writes:
“Nothing else matters except sitting down every day and trying. Why is this so important?
Because when we sit down day after day and keep grinding, something mysterious starts to happen. A process is set into motion by which, inevitably and infallibly, heaven comes to our aid. Unseen forces enlist in our cause; serendipity reinforces our purpose. This is the other secret that real artists know and wannabe writers don’t. When we sit down each day to do our work, power concentrates around us. The Muse takes note of our dedication. She approves…… When we sit down and work, we become like a magnetized rod that attracts iron filings. Ideas come. Insights accrete.”
Here are 5 EASY steps for moving towards your dreams:
1. Decide. Decide what? Just decide, that each day you will do a small thing towards your dream or project or work. However small it may be. Decide and make a promise. Your soul will thank you for it. This action alone can make the mountain seem smaller.
2. Don’t let perfectionism cripple you. Everybody started somewhere, somehow and as an amateur. Done is better than not done and projects are way better started than not started. Things get so much easier when you’re on a roll.
3. Write a plan of action, brainstorm, find a mentor. Setting strong intentions helps your left and right brain work together to begin to bring things to fruition. Then practice, work, make, shake, groove, hustle and grind. That’s it baby! Stop talking about it and get moving with it. As US super-coach, Marie Forleo say’s – clarity comes from engagement not thought.Try new things and experiment. The fog will start to clear and you will get trajectory.
4. Make a physical and mental space for your creativity. Honour yourself and your talents. If you don’t, don’t expect anyone else to. Take an honesty check and see if you are really making room in your life for your soul calling. If you’re not – then find support or an accountability buddy. Take small steps to create that space.
5. DEDICATION. As Pressfield suggests – the magic is produced, when you get up and show up. Make a plan, find cohorts, dedicate time, cut out the shit in your life. Most importantly, love yourself enough to honour your destiny! You are here for a reason. Let it be and let it shine.
I know this stuff works. I have seen it countless times with artists and creators I know. And I’ve seen it in my own life.
Be brave and be you.
Big beautiful love,